Indian Journal of Pharmacology Home 

CASE REPORT
[View FULLTEXT] [Download PDF]
Year : 2009  |  Volume : 41  |  Issue : 2  |  Page : 89--90

Baclofen intoxication after accidental ingestion in a 3-year-old child

Nagesh Dasarwar, Preeti Shanbag, Nilesh Kumbhare 
 Pediatric Intensive Care Unit, Department of Pediatrics, Lokmanya Tilak Municipal Medical College and General Hospital, Sion, Mumbai - 400 022, India

Correspondence Address:
Preeti Shanbag
Pediatric Intensive Care Unit, Department of Pediatrics, Lokmanya Tilak Municipal Medical College and General Hospital, Sion, Mumbai - 400 022
India

Baclofen is a skeletal muscle relaxant, used to control spasticity in both adults and children with neuromuscular disorders. Several cases of baclofen overdose have been reported, but only a small number have involved children. We report a 3-year-old girl with accidental ingestion of baclofen, who presented with coma, bradycardia and hypotension. She recovered within 24 hours with supportive treatment. The case emphasizes the importance of warning parents about the potential toxicity of baclofen when the drug is prescribed to a family member.


How to cite this article:
Dasarwar N, Shanbag P, Kumbhare N. Baclofen intoxication after accidental ingestion in a 3-year-old child.Indian J Pharmacol 2009;41:89-90


How to cite this URL:
Dasarwar N, Shanbag P, Kumbhare N. Baclofen intoxication after accidental ingestion in a 3-year-old child. Indian J Pharmacol [serial online] 2009 [cited 2022 Nov 26 ];41:89-90
Available from: https://www.ijp-online.com/article.asp?issn=0253-7613;year=2009;volume=41;issue=2;spage=89;epage=90;aulast=Dasarwar;type=0