| [Download PDF]
|Year : 1991 | Volume
| Issue : 4 | Page : 229--235
Extra genital effects of exogenous and endogenous progesterone : A study in patients aod healthy women
SK Chaudhuri1, AK Gaine2, S Chaudhuri3
1. Two types of patients, viz (i) suffers of dysfunctional uterine bleeding, DUB and (ii) those who came for medical termination of pregnancy, MTP, were selected for the study. In addition, (iii) a third type, viz, healthy female MBBS course students were also studied.
2. One group of DUB patients received a low dose (LD) of orally effective progesterone (P) while the other group of DUB patients received a moderate dose (MD) of orally effective P. The LD consisted of 1 tab BD (10 mg/day) and the MD consisted of 2 tab BD (20 mg/day) of standard preparations of P like primolut N (norethisterone) or farlutal (medroxy progesterone).
3. It was noted that the group receiving the MD showed a rise of maximum ventilatory volume (MVV), respiratory quotient (RQ) and a fall of EEG voltage, but the LD group showed no such changes. It was concluded that the demonstrable and objective extragenital effects of P begin to appear at the MD (but not at the LD) level in human subjects.
4. EEG records taken 5 days after the abortion, showed a rise of EEG voltage in MTP cases.
5. Young healthy medical students showed a rise of MVV and RQ in their luteal phase.
6. It appears that the currently popular loading dose of P given on the first day of DUB is likely to produce extragenital effects. Further, the possible significance of voltage drop of EEG, rise of MVV and RQ, due to P, have been discussed.
S K Chaudhuri
|How to cite this article:|
Chaudhuri S K, Gaine A K, Chaudhuri S. Extra genital effects of exogenous and endogenous progesterone : A study in patients aod healthy women.Indian J Pharmacol 1991;23:229-235
|How to cite this URL:|
Chaudhuri S K, Gaine A K, Chaudhuri S. Extra genital effects of exogenous and endogenous progesterone : A study in patients aod healthy women. Indian J Pharmacol [serial online] 1991 [cited 2023 Jun 10 ];23:229-235
Available from: https://www.ijp-online.com/article.asp?issn=0253-7613;year=1991;volume=23;issue=4;spage=229;epage=235;aulast=Chaudhuri;type=0