| RESEARCH PAPER
|Year : 1988 | Volume
| Issue : 2 | Page : 159-166
Cholinergic effects of clonidine on the rat anococcygeus muscle preparation
SK Gohil, VK Patel, RV Bhatt, RK Goyal
1. The present Investigation was undertaken to study the cholinergic effects of clonidine on the isolated rat anococcygeus musIce.
2. Clonidine produced dose dependent contractions of rat anococcygeus muslce which were completely antagonised by phentolamine and atropine.
3. Sub-threshold dose of clonidine produced potentiation of carbachol and acetylcholine induced responses. but did not alter responses to noradrenaline dopamine or 5-hydroxytryptamine (5-HT).
4. Clonidine. however. failed to potentiate the carbachol induced responses on preparations which We re bathed with physiological salt solution containing low Ca++ low Na++ or niludipine. However the potentiation was maintained in PSS containing more Ca ++.yohimbine. prazosin or ouabain.
5. It is concluded that clonidine has indirect cholinomimetic effect, which involved extracellular sodium (NA+) and calcium (Ca++).
S K Gohil
Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None