| RESEARCH PAPER
|Year : 1986 | Volume
| Issue : 3 | Page : 139-143
Effect of ▀-adrenoceptor antagonists on tolbutamide induced hypoglycaemia and its half life in rabbits
H Kumar, VV Sharma, VK Kulshrestha
1. Interaction of tolbutamide with some betaadrenoceptor antagonist was studied in normal and alloxan-induced diabetic rabbits.
2. Propranolol and atenolol per se produced hypoglycaemia and potentiated tolbutamide effect also. However, on concurrent administration they failed to influence serum concentration pattern and half life of tolbutamide in normal as well as diabetic rabbits.
3. Metoproiol and acebutolol, both cardio-selective ( blockers, per se neither produced any change in blood sugar level nor influenced tolbutamide hypoglycaemia and its serum level.
4. In diabetic rabbits, all the (adrenergic blockers studied, potentiated tolbutamide hypoglycaemia.
5. In the animals pretreated with (adrenergic blockers for 7days,only propranolol and atenoiol potentiated tolbutamide hypoglycaemia but the serum tolbutamide level remained unchanged.
Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None